Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Construction

Status: In-Progress
Deadline: Comic-Con 2009
Time: 03 June 2008 - ?
Page Updated: 25 June 2008


Generation One Blaster, a costume that I have wanted to do for ages, is a more simpler one then my Jazz Costume, and by FAR, I know, isn't going to be as much fun to build. Blaster is the lesser-known counterpart of the Decepticon Soundwave, but still just as recognizable. Chatting up on the Cosplay.com forums, I had realized that creating a giant robot costume would actually be easier then I could have ever imagined it, with a little help from friends, of course. The Cosplay forums is where I had originally found Pilot, and, after chatting with her for a while, I decided that Blaster was the costume I badly wanted to do, half because she was doing one as well. With the creation of Blaster, I decided to go with foam insulation, which is then covered in fiberglass. The only other material I'll really be using is Wonderflex for Blaster's helmet since it's so curved. I wanted it to look as smooth as the rest of the costume so that I wouldn't be iffy about getting close-ups of my face.

When it comes to shapes and designs, Blaster is one of the more simpler characters to do since he's mainly made of a bunch of boxed shapes, one on top of the other. Making Blaster was a dream of mine, mostly because I would have loved to run into a Soundwave at Con and we'd have a "fight to the death" right there in the midst of the Congoers. Hell, I thought he wouldn't be that hard, possibly a couple hundred dollars and about a month's worth of my time. Two months later now since my Start Date, and I am out of funds and only 20% done.

Planning for this really wasn't that hard. I already knew that I wanted speakers in the legs and one of the buttons on his chest to function correctly so that I can play and pause music from them, so that was the only thing that was really going to cost me some dough. Not time, though; wiring something like that is incredibly simple, but it's the pressure of finding good speakers that are small enough to fit in my legs to begin with and ones that are light enough to still be able to walk around with.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Stage One really wasn't that difficult. I started with the legs since the legs, when proportioned right, will affect the rest of the costume. The calves and feet, when made a certain way, then affects how small the thighs need to be, which in turn affects how big the cod needs to be, etc, etc. When we started, I had to cut out the legs several times over. Being this my first giant robot Cosplay, I wanted it to be perfect, while not spending that much time on it (which is practically impossible). I think this is what sucked out so much of my change for the costume was having to cut out the legs over and over after several times of trial and error.

I went through so many pieces of foam that, by the end, I only had enough to really make the cod after the legs were done. After deciding to do some trial runs with toothpicks and masking tape to make sure the joints functined right (which they didn't, go figure), I then went to his cod. Since Blaster has a very basic cod system, it was easy enough to figure out what to do with it. A couple of boxy pieces with two oddly-shaped ones on either side and it made a perfect area where Blaster could hold his junk, or my wallet since I made the top of his cod be hinged and held in place with magnets.